<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, December 09, 2005

THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA: THE LION, THE WITCH & THE WARDROBE
Featuring: William Moseley, Skandar Keynes, Georgie Henley, Anna Popplewell
Brief Synopsis: 4 children literally find a whole new world at the back of a err wardrobe .

Comments: The Disney lot sure did their marketing on this film. I had no idea why but I knew I JUST HAD TO SEE IT. Actually I wasn't overly keen on the film as I am a great fan of the book (well from 18 years worth of memories) and films rarely live up to the imagination of a small child. The problem with having read the book first is that you spend the whole film trying to remember what happened next and if you do manage to remember, you think critically to yourself whether it was what you imagined and if it didn't, well it's all a bit of a downer.

The start of the film had quite a lot of promise for me with World War bombings and evacuations but somewhere in the middle, it really just got bogged down. At times the dialogue was too long or else the plot seemed to drag in a few scenes. The queen's ice palace didn't look as intimidating as I imagined it would and it seemed a bit strange that they suddenly came across Aslan's army. Of course, you could weigh these scenes against the time where the humans first met the beavers, the battle towards the end (Aslan's army looked as if they copied Tom Cruise's tactics from the final battle in the Last Samurai) and well the problem was that with the battle, I also kept comparing it to Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy. (So generally the film had to compete with a childhood imagination and a Oscar winning film!)

The views of other people were quite enlightening - my wife said it was 'so-so' whilst my other friend went for 'ok.' However one of my footballing friends said it was brilliant and enjoyed himself immensely (definitely sure he's not read the book so does that make a difference?). Who's to say you won't enjoy it?

Haven't heard the words 'Turkish Delight' for years though...

Things to learn from this film: Never trust a woman who can conjure chocolate out of thin air... Or snow for that matter.
Rating: 5 /10

Comments:
I thought the battle was very good! However, the whole film seems like an extended BBC TV production. I reviewed it on my old MSN space, but I switched to Blogger when I realised only kids who write mobile phone-style
were reading it. Maaaannn MSN spaces is rubbish.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?