<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, June 27, 2005

THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
Featuring: Martin Freeman, Mos Def, Zooey Deschanel
Brief Synopsis: Earth gets blown up to make way for a highway and the last human finds out his best friend is an alien and they hitch a ride on an alien spaceship together. Cue lots of adventures.

Comments: Ok, I've read the book but it was years ago and I've forgotten most (well all) of it. And I read many reviews and opinions of this film which vaguely went along two lines. People who read the book hated it. The Americans loved it.

For sure, it's definitely original. There are some very amusing scenes (my favourites: when all the characters turn into cotton toys and the planet of the spades) but ultimately it was all pretty disjointed and it failed to captivate me. I really struggled to figure out why (lack of an engaging plot? lack of engaging characters?) but I just wanted to fall asleep about half-way through but was prevented by the very cold air conditioning. The characters are ok - Arthur Dent (Freeman) is fine as an ordinary docile human being but Trillion (Deschanel) is such a waste of space as his love interest. She is just so one dimensional.

Ultimately the ideas were good but the execution really wasn't there. I love the beaucratic aliens being the most bad guys though. I can imagine why the Americans like it - they don't come across this sort of humour much and so if they just have a little bit, they are ecstatic - and now they have a whole film! Or else its just the British accents.

Things to learn from this film: Towels are very important in intergalactic space travel.
Rating: 4 /10

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?