<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, May 15, 2005

KINGDOM OF HEAVEN
Featuring: Orlando Bloom, Liam Neeson, Eva Green, Edward Norton
Brief Synopsis: Set in the time of the Crusades, a man goes to the city of Jerusalem seeking forgiveness, ends up defending it.

Comments: It was a film that I wasn't desperate to see so I went to this film with no expectations. I knew little about it except for two things; it involved the Crusades and the Holy City + it had the rather dashing Orlando Bloom.

When I came out of the cinema, I wasn't unhappy with the film nor was I raving about it. It was quite an average film which is why I have struggled with this review from the start. On the positive points, there are some exciting battle scenes with lots of blood and gore due to the swords prevalent in that period as well as some interesting tactical manouveres in defending the walls. Historically it was a portrayal of a period that I knew little about so it was slightly educational for me too. It was easy to relate to the strong male cast as they struggled through and worked through their respective male roles. The flip side of the coin was that it was very well normal with nothing outstanding to recommend it. The respective male roles were very predictable (the hero, the greedy villain, the wise king, the gallant father etc.) and in all honesty so was the storyline. However it kept me intrigued enough to stay until the end as I had thought about leaving early for football practice. There's lots of Orlando Bloom to keep the ladies satisfied and enough swordplay for the men but unless you are really into either of these issues, you might want to watch it as a last resort.

Thing to learn from this film: To get your point across; give your big, eloquent speech and then slap the recipient across the face.
Rating: 5 /10

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?